The National Conference of Black Political Scientist awards are given each year to outstanding scholars, researchers, mentors, scholar-activists, and students. The following awards will be announced at the NCOBPS Award Banquet held our our Annual Meeting, Hilton Garden Inn, Buckhead, March 11-15, 2020. Submissions should be made to the chairs noted below and in accordance with the guidelines and deadlines for each award.
Annual Awards are given for the following sections:
- W.E.B. Du Bois Distinguished Book Award
- Rodney Higgins Best Faculty Paper Award
- Fannie Lou Hamer Outstanding Community Service Award
- Anna Julia Cooper Teacher of the Year Award
- Bayard Rustin Best LGBTQ+ Student Paper Award
- Sammy Younge Best Student Paper Award
- Alex Willingham Best Political Theory Paper Award
- Lena Harris Stromile Student Leadership Award
Winners are selected by separate Awards Committee Divisions under the directive of the Awards Committee Chair pursuant to the policies and procedures in the NCOBPS Constitution and By-Laws (Chapter IV: Other Committees).
Three additional awards, established by separate foundations, are presented at the Annual Awards Program:
- The Jewel Limar Prestage Mentorship Award
- Graduate Assistantship Program, Inc. (GAP) Scholarship
- The Dianne M. Pinderhughes Mentorship Legacy Award
Each has independent reviews and deadlines.
The President-Elect serves as the Awards Committee Chair. S/he selects the Awards Section Head(s), responsible for the coordination and selection of recipients for the Annual Awards with the exception of the Jewel Limar Prestage Mentorship Award and Graduate Assistantship Program, Inc. (GAP) Scholarship.