The National Conference of Black Political Scientist awards are given each year to outstanding scholars, researchers, mentors, scholar-activists, and students. The following awards will be announced at the NCOBPS Award Banquet held our our Annual Meeting. Submissions should be made to the chairs noted below and in accordance with the guidelines and deadlines for each award.
Annual Awards are given for the following sections:
- W.E.B. Du Bois Distinguished Book Award
- Rodney Higgins Best Faculty Paper Award
- Fannie Lou Hamer Outstanding Community Service Award
- Anna Julia Cooper Teacher of the Year Award
- Bayard Rustin Best LGBTQ+ Student Paper Award
- Sammy Younge Best Student Paper Award
- Alex Willingham Best Political Theory Paper Award
- Lena Harris Stromile Student Leadership Award
- 2021 Hanes Walton, Jr. Award for Quantitative Methods Training
Winners are selected by separate Awards Committee Divisions under the directive of the Awards Committee Chair pursuant to the policies and procedures in the NCOBPS Constitution and By-Laws (Chapter IV: Other Committees).
Three additional awards, established by separate foundations, are presented at the Annual Awards Program:
- The Jewel and James Prestage Mentorship Award
- Graduate Assistantship Program, Inc. (GAP) Scholarship
- The Dianne M. Pinderhughes Mentorship Legacy Award
Each has independent reviews and deadlines.
The President-Elect serves as the Awards Committee Chair. S/he selects the Awards Section Head(s), responsible for the coordination and selection of recipients for the Annual Awards with the exception of the Jewel Limar Prestage Mentorship Award and Graduate Assistantship Program, Inc. (GAP) Scholarship.
Nominations & Submissions
For the 2024 award, all nominations and supporting materials must be received on or before February 1, 2024. Nominations and all supporting information should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can also be mailed to Kathie Stromile Golden, 14000 HWY 82 W., MVSU 5098, Itta Bena, MS 38941-1400 but must be postmarked by January 26, 2024. Emailed applications are strongly recommended. Please look for an acceptance of applications email from WITHIN A WEEK OF SUBMISSION OF ALL DOCUMENTS. The successful nominee will be notified no later than February 15,2024.