Lena Harris Stromile Student Leadership Award
Chair: Dr. Clarissa Peterson, Cpeterson@depauw.edu
This award is named in honor of Lena Harris Stromile, the mother of Dr. Kathie Stromile Golden. The award honors the contributions of the Stromile family to NCOBPS and their life-long involvement in developing student leaders. As executive director of NCOBPS for two decades, Dr. Golden has assisted a diverse group of students. This includes students at Historically Black to Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and students abroad through her leadership of international education programs that has taken her to 70 countries. Her commitment to student leadership reflects the life lessons and spirit of community work passed on by her mother.
The Lena Harris Stromile Student Leadership Award is given to an undergraduate or graduate student, who is a member of NCOBPS and has a demonstrative involvement in community service, social justice, mentor programs, or related activities. Nominations must be received by February 1, 2024. Nominees should submit supporting documents such as:
- A Current Curriculum Vitae;
- Letters of nomination and/or support from administrators, faculty, staff and community entities explicitly identifying and explaining leadership activities;
- Supporting evidence that documents dedication to community activities. Examples of such documentation may include, but are not limited to:
- Newspaper/magazine articles or other printed materials;
- Copies of literature from events documenting involvement;
- Listing of citizenry-based awards received.