Website University at Albany
Assistant Professor, Political Science
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,900 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City, and the Adirondacks.
Rockefeller College of Public Affairs seeks an Assistant Professor in the field of American Politics. This is a tenure-track appointment in the Department of Political Science. The course load is four courses a year. The department’s priority is a scholar who addresses big questions in American politics, including those related to democracy, justice, or equality. Examples of relevant research topics include those pertaining to the role of institutions, polarization, racial politics, democratic backsliding, and social movements. We are open to methodological diversity and welcome historical perspectives. The department expects that the successful applicant will teach the introductory course in American Politics. Candidates who are poised to seek external funding will be viewed favorably. Contributing to the diversity of the department will also be considered a plus. Candidates should also be willing to teach courses in online formats when specific needs arise. Applicants should have their Ph.D. in hand by May 2023.
· Ph.D. in Political Science or in an appropriate related discipline, with a specialization in American Politics, by May 2023.
· A record of, or demonstrated potential for, successfully publishing research and teaching courses on topics that address big questions in American Politics, including those related to democracy, justice, or equality. (Examples of relevant research topics include those pertaining to the role of institutions, polarization, racial politics, democratic backsliding, and social movements.)
· A record of, or demonstrated potential for, effectively teaching an introductory course in American Politics.
· A record of, or demonstrated potential for, seeking external funding for their research.
· Experience with successfully teaching a diverse student population.
· Experience with successfully teaching courses in an online format.
· An ability to collaborate effectively with faculty, staff, and students across a broad range of research, teaching, and service-related tasks.
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Assistant Professor (10 month)
Start Date: August 2023
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=150277
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
· Statement of interest
· Graduate transcript
· Writing sample or publication
· Available evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., syllabi, student evaluations, and/or teaching statement)
· Contact information for three references
Note: After submitting your CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants – Login to your UAlbany Careers Account to check your completed application.
A review of applications will begin on September 6, 2022, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit albany.interviewexchange.com.